Today, after a long dry spell of SRKness, we re-watched the passable Kal Ho Naa Ho. We wondered afresh what is it about SRK that makes him so compelling? A very good actor, in the traditional (perhaps Western?) notion of Oscar-winners and Shakespeare-doers, he is not. And yet he's such a great performer! Maybe it's his adorable dimples and fab ability to shake his butt. Or maybe it's just intelligence as an entertainer! He just knows how to please. We'd say his bouncy charm is best-used in ironic, self-deprecating ways - such as in Farah Khan's films. In those films, SRK can be his over-the-top, magnetic best, and we don't have to worry about things like traditional "actorly realism".
SRK in a wonderfully hammy moment from Farah Khan's Om Shanti Om.
Why should I love: Shah Rukh Khan?
1. You should love SRK because he loves movies as much as the PPCC does, and sometimes is compelled to shake out of his theatre seat to dance along. You go, man!
2. You should love SRK because sometimes he loses the girl.
3. You should love SRK because sometimes he falls for the wrong girl.
4. You should love SRK because sometimes he goes a bit mental for the girl. OK, more than a bit.
5. You should love SRK because sometimes he loves the girl so much he will take on human form... and he's cute in a moustache.
6. You should love SRK because sometimes he is imprisoned for 22 years because he loved the wrong girl.
7. You should love SRK because sometimes he loves the boy. Ooh, Kantaben!
8. You should love SRK because sometimes he loves his science teacher and then makes adorably stupid puns on their "chemistry" together.
9. You should love SRK because will go to great lengths not to elope with the girl.
10. You should love SRK because, when not busy loving and losing and marrying girls, he also cares about the poor.
Previously in this series: